Samsung Galaxy S II T989 Troubleshooting
Device Not Turning On
No matter what I do, the phone is not turning on.
Battery is Dead
- Charge the phone using the provided Samsung approved charger
- If the battery is dead and will not charge, see the Battery Replacement Guide
Power Button is Broken
- Make sure the power button is not faulty and does not have residue blocking it.
When I touch the screen to open an app, or attempt to select any icons, the phone is unresponsive.
Screen Needs to be Cleaned
- Make sure your hand and the screen are dry since water can cause interference with the touchscreen.
- Make sure the screen is clean since a layer of dirt or dust can cause a poor contact between your finger and the screen.
Motherboard is Faulty
- If the phone is constantly displaying a black screen while occasionally vibrating there is a high chance the motherboard is damaged. This can happen if the phone is dropped, overheated, or damaged by moisture.
- To find evidence the motherboard is damaged the phone must be opened, see the Inner Plate Replacement Guide for instruction. If there is visible damage the motherboard must be replaced for the phone to be able to function again.
No Display On Screen
When I turn the phone on, no display appears on the screen.
- A damaged motherboard can cause the phone's display to show a black screen, to fix this see the Motherboard Replacement Guide.
The LCD Screen is Broken
- If the phone is turned on but the inside screen is not displaying, check the screen for visible damage.
- If there is no visible damage to the phone and the phone is charged, the phone will need to be replaced.
No Sound Coming From Device
When I try to play music or watch a video no sounds come from the device.
The Phone is on Silent Mode
- Increase the volume and verify device is not set to silent mode
The Speaker is Faulty
- External speaker is broken or dislodged from its connection, see the External Speaker Replacement Guide.
Back Camera Not Functioning
When I attempt to use the camera app, the screen is completely black!
Something is Blocking the Camera
- If there is no image displaying when the back camera application is being used, clean the back camera with a cloth to remove smudges or residue. Also verify nothing is blocking the camera.
Bad Connection Between Motherboard and Back Camera
- After cleaning with the cloth, if the problem persists then check the camera connection to the motherboard by following the Inner Plate Replacement Guide to open the phone. After the phone is open check that all of the tabs are connected.
Front Camera Not Functioning
When I attempt to use the front camera, the screen is blurry and sometimes completely blank.
Something is Blocking the Camera
- Clean the front camera with a cloth, in order to remove smudges, residue, or any foreign substance possibly blocking the camera.
Front Camera is Broken or Improperly Connected
- If the front camera is broken. See the Front Camera Replacement Guide.
No Operating System Displayed On LCD Screen
When I turn on the phone, there is no graphical display on the screen.
SIM Card Uninitiated
- Verify with cellular provider if the SIM card has been initialized
SIM Card is Not Properly Connected
- Verify SIM card in place.
- Verify that SIM card is the correct type for the phone and that it is activated. See the SIM Card Replacement Guide.
Media Card Improperly Connected
- Verify Media Card is in place and see Media Card Replacement Guide.
Volume Control Unresponsive
When I try to increase or decrease the volume on the phone, the phone is unresponsive and the sound level does not change.
Phone is Off
- Verify device is on and phone is not set to silent mode
Volume button is Broken or Not Connected Properly
Possible Moisture Damage
- Moisture damage can affect any electrical component of this phone, to check for this remove the battery and check that the white square is white. If the square is red that means there is moisture damage.