Creating a Device Page
A device page is a central repository of all troubleshooting and repair information for a specific device.
Each device page contains the following:
- A picture of the device. This photo is widely used, so quality is important.
- A short summary of the device (which will appear in device page search results).
- Links to troubleshooting pages.
- How to identify the device (differentiating between models).
- Background information on the device.
- Links to the best online resources for the device.
- Click here to start a new page.
- Select "Device" from the list of options.
- Enter your device name in the Title field.
Note: Make sure you name and capitalize your device name properly or your repair guides will not link correctly.
- Upload a picture of the device, using the images tab in the lower left corner of the screen. Drag the uploaded image into the top-right box.
- Enter a short, descriptive summary.
- Input additional information pertaining to the device into the main text box. Follow the format outlined in this example device page.
Linking Repair Guides & Teardowns ¶
Repair guides, teardowns, commonly used tools, and any related questions from our Q&A site (Answers) are automatically linked to device pages of the same name. You do not need to manually link them.
Device Page Picture ¶
The device page picture is the first thing users will notice when they navigate to your device page, so it's important that you take a quality photo. Take the picture with the device against a solid white background that is well-lit with the camera in landscape orientation. If you're using a DSLR or other camera that captures images in an aspect ratio other than 4:3, be sure to crop your image to 4:3. The most important thing to remember is to take your own device page picture, rather than taking one from an online image search.
Changing Device Page Name ¶
You can't change the name of a device page, you just have to make a new one and delete the old one. If you're planning to change the name:
- Copy all the text from the old page.
- Create a new device page with the new name you want.
- Paste the old content to the correctly named page.
- Delete the old page.
Deleting Device Page ¶
To delete a device page:
- Go to that page's edit section.
#Scroll to the bottom and click "Delete Device."
- If you're sure, click confirm delete.
- The page should now say "This device repair manual does not exist yet, but you can start it now!"
Migrating Guides To New Device Page ¶
If you already have some repair guides started, moving them to the new device page is easy.
- Go to the Edit screen for the repair guide.
- Change the text in the Device field to the correct device name.
- Click the save button.
- The guide should now be correctly associated with the new device name.