Intermittent Display, possibly caused by overheating?
Macbook Pro 15" 2.53GHz
Need help diagnosing this workhorse's problem! The facts:
- The display screen will flash and often settle in to a magenta-striped mode. Legible, but not lovely.
- After being powered down for about 24 hrs and restarted, the display was ok for almost a minute.
- Display does not change when hinge is moved.
- Apple Genius ran diagnostics and concluded says the problem is LCD display itself (a pricey repair).
- Laptop has been getting quite hot for 3-4 months.
- Fans used to come on at high speed (particularly when playing video) but are no longer heard from.
- External monitor works fine.
- What should I try replacing first: the display cable, fans, or screen itself?
- Could some other component be at fault?
I've done a fair amount of repair, Lombard through iBook, and iPhone3, including a display replacement. But this would be my first time tackling an aluminum unibody. Would love to know what the problem is before I go too deep.
Oh - one more thing: this display assembly was installed by Apple under warranty just over two years ago, due to an original manufacturing flaw involving hinge failures. I assume the display cable was part of that - but possibly not?
Thanks, ifixit - you're the best!
Es esta una buena pregunta?