Saltar al contenido principal
Ayuda

Aporte original por: Pete Mueller ,

Texto:

Seems this discussion has strayed to a number of different models; it may be a somewhat universal design however and the issue probably applies to more than one. Specifically, I’m dealing with a C309A Photosmart. I’ve used this printer for lots of photo proofing/printing (as well as regular printing), and have invested more than enough time and expense installing a CIS System and calibrating color output many years ago.  I’m at about 14000 pages printed. I’d purchased another one of this model (for parts only - $25), and have used it to replace a number of components.

The gear in question, the one that slips off of the spline on the shaft, is the planned obsolescence component on this printer. The gear hub (the part between shaft hole and the bottom of the gear teeth) is undersized and can’t withstand the expansion force created by the shaft spline. I’d already made the repairs discussed in the past (relocate gear on spline with adhesive). Recently the gear spit in two parts. When  I pulled the “parts” printer all the way apart to get to this shaft, I realized that one has to almost entirely disassemble the printer. And upon close inspection of the gear taken out of the “parts” printer (which only had a page count of 1500), I observed this gear had a herringbone fracture at the hub, at the base of a pair of gear teeth. It was already failed, and would have begun slipping on the spline or shifting off of it had I installed this part.

I’ve done something different; it was a bit of a learning curve and took some effort. Like others, I cut a panel out of the bottom to gain access. I used the intact (but compromised) gear from the “parts” unit and made a silicone mold of it. I then cast a replacement gear using “steel epoxy”. (I did a lot of off-unit experimenting with the mold materials and the casting materials before committing to the repair on the actual printer.) It was challenging but I successfully cast a replacement gear, on the shaft in the available space next to the spline. Once the mold was removed and the epoxy still slightly under-cured, using additional epoxy to help with adhesion to the spline, I forced the new gear into its correct position.

I’m pretty confident that this is a forever repair. Many of those having done the glue and relocate will eventually be seeing two gear halves laying in their paper feed tray, I regret. But it can be fixed permanently.

Estatus:

open